Thursday, December 14, 2017

You are responsible for your success - no one else is.



The moment you take responsibility for everything in your life is the moment you gain the power to change anything in your life. 



To clarify, no, you are not responsible for crimes committed against you if you have been the victim of a crime or abuses.  That is something else entirely.  However, you are responsible for your actions, behaviors, failures, successes and attitudes following anything that has occurred to you.


"I'm unhappy because my mom used to beat me as a kid."
"I'm overweight because I was molested."
"I can't exercise because my husband won't let me take a break from the kids."

Those thoughts are what must change.
As long as we use our past hurts and other people as reasons for our failings or unhappiness, we will never change our behaviors.

If any of these things sound like you, then it is you I am speaking to: It's my husband's fault I am unhappy.  It's my kids' fault I'm unable to exercise.  I gained weight because of my children. I had feelings of insecurity because of a childhood wound... etc..

Those are attitudes we CAN change. 


The moment you accept the responsibility that your success and happiness is up to YOU and no one else, is the moment that change can begin to happen in your life.

Here's how it works...

I've heard many women over the years say they can't exercise because of  their kids. And yet, I've seen women pushing jogging strollers in races!  I danced with my babies in the living room or have done push-ups to kiss my babies faces, or weighted squats holding a child in my arms.  Many gyms and fitness studios offer child care and sometimes for free or free with trade for babysitting services.  Including my favorite little Studio in Hurricane Utah- Phazes Studio.

BUT, it's not MY job or anyone else's to find your solutions for what to do with your kids so you can get the exercise YOU need.

What about your happiness?  Do you blame your unhappiness on someone else? Can you become happy in the situation you are currently in? Or do you need to change your situation?  When you find out that you CAN change anything and develop the inner strength to do so, it is an amazing self-discovery.  Developing inner strength is the same as creating outer or physical strength, it is something that starts weak and can be exercised to increase in your ability to do the things you need to do for your own happiness, success and health regardless of your living circumstances or past hurts.  

One of my favorite daily affirmations I read every single morning is this "The moment I take responsibility for everything in my life is the moment I gain the power to change anything in my life!"

And I am.  And I feel powerful.

I feel powerful when I decide to make changes regardless of life circumstances.  Life is busy.  My family is demanding.  I have a crazy schedule with my 2 businesses.  All those things could get in the way of me reaching my physical goals or taking time doing what matters most.  Today my husband and I went to a 30 minute HIIT class together. Usually we don't do that.  But today I asked for what I wanted.  I wanted to spend time with him.  I want to be healthy. And I needed a quick workout that pushed my limits.  Asking my husband to join me because I love him and want to spend time with him is just one way of being assertive in asking for what you need. 

Don't use excuses anymore.  Make choices and take responsibility for everything in your life.  What choices will you make today?

Try looking at life through the eyes of a person that takes responsibility for everything and see what changes you can make.

 - Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment