Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Let's chat about your pillars...

Are you aware of the pillars of health?  It's a concept I was introduced to over 20 years ago by some Japanese business men at a so-called "Sales training" meeting.  The company was Nikken Inc.  The training was their beginner level training called "Silver Training".  It was for their sales team, but I went because I wanted to have some self improvement.  I wasn't a Representative of the company  but, my dad, Larry Proffit, was the VP of Sales and Marketing and the was main Speaker and lead trainer for Nikken at the time, SO I got a free pass in.  Lucky me!

    The company is based in Japan.  They brought a weird way of thinking about business over here to us Americans.  It was interesting to note that at that "sales team meeting" not one word of sales skills or how to improve your business by increasing sales, was brought up.  We didn't even learn about their products that they sell at all!  It was purely Self-Care and self improvement.  They were big on creating a Life-Cycle plan or a HUGE vision board that mapped out 10 years of dreaming in Several areas of health.  They called this the "5 Pillars of Health".

The concept that you cannot be an effective sales representative for the company if you are not balanced in these areas of life, was the training for the weekend.  It was very revealing.  I did do my vision board/Life-cycle plan.  And I do have to say, most of that stuff I put on the vision board has happened.  It works.

Since that training, I have gone on and researched "pillars of health" and have discovered, there are a LOT of philosophies of what those Pillars of health actually are:







There are dozens more philosphies about Pillars of health out there.  Some get super complex.  I decided that my business needs to be simple and based around the basics.  I don't need my  life complicated anymore than it already is.
As I was setting Goals with my kids, I asked them what they want in some basic areas of life and challenged them to set goals in those "pillar" categories.
I changed them around a bit and made it 7.  You can create your own categories if you want or take it and adjust all of the above ones as you see fit.

Here are the categories I decided were important for balanced life, health and success:
1 - Spiritual
2 - Physical
3 - Work/ finances
4 - Emotional
5 - Intellectual
6 - Social (friends/community)
7 -  Family relationships

I might be a "fitness Professional", but what I have discovered is that when someone is out of whack in one of those areas of health, they have a difficult time reaching their fitness goals. As a personal trainer I found I was dealing with people that had loads of "baggage" and garbage built up in other areas of their life and until they released it or dealt with it, they struggled to feel good, drop weight or develop healthy eating habits.  It's my belief that true physical fitness/health is a result of feeling amazing about who you are and what you are capable of.  This comes as a result of repaired relationships with God, family, community, wealth, emotional well-being and  your relationship to money too.  It's all connected.  I guess the relationship can be flipped and you could say that your financial well-being could be the result of balance in the other areas, and so forth.  Your health in each pillar category is increased and becomes better as the other pillar categories come into balance.
  I left the business of Personal training because I was tired of helping people get the perfect butt when they were just unhappy with their marriage.  The perfect butt and waistline wasn't going to fix it.  I was tired of dealing with unhealthy people with unrealistic physical expectations that really needed a more well-rounded approach to true wellness.    I no longer consider myself a personal trainer per se.  I am a wellness professional today.  I focus on whole wellness over physical perfection.

   As you read this blog and follow me, you will see me focus on addressing the "pillars of health".  Each day, I am striving to focus on just one area of my life to improve. In a perfect world, all 7 would be addressed daily and worked on.  But baby steps is a great place to start.  So, each day, I challenge you to look at just one area of your life and improve in that place for that day.

Sunday - SPIRITUAL  - How is your relationship with God?  Do you take the time to pray, meditate and listen to his desires for your life?  It is my belief that we have a supreme being that cares about our well-being who reaches out to us.  It is up to us to listen.  You may have a religious affiliation or not.  I believe all of us are children of God.  Have you taken the time today to build on that important relationship?  It is up to us to listen quietly and reflect on the love he has for each of us.  I know that as I have done this, I have found inspiration for my life and the path I need to take in all other areas of health.

Monday - PHYSICAL - I do believe in movement daily as well as balanced nutrition all week.  Not just once a week.  But Mondays are a great day to start again with planning your meals and workouts.  A strong, healthy body helps boost your immune system and rid yourself of the blues.  Move and re-commit to your fitness and nutrition plan every Monday.

Tuesday - WORK/ FINANCES - Take this day to look at your career and financial goals. Are you going the right direction?  Are you saving money?  Is your business healthy?  What adjustments need to be made today or what action plans need to happen to bring you closer to your dreams?

Wednesday - EMOTIONAL - Do you think before you react?  How are you managing stress?  This is a good day to be a little more aware about your emotional responses to people and situations.  What do you do when someone cuts you off in traffic?  Or that crazy coupon-er that takes too long at the grocery store in line in front of you?  How is your emotional well-being?

Thursday - INTELLECTUAL - Do you take the opportunity to learn something new?  Are you reading any books? Taking an on-line course?  What are you doing to ignite that amazing brain of yours? Your education should always be a priority.  Have you taken time to learn from masters in the field of your interests and hobbies?  Or how about learning something new that you have never tried before?  How will you ignite your mind today?

Friday - SOCIAL  - How is your relationship with your community? Your friends?  This might be a good day to connect to an old friend or find opportunities to serve the community. I have heard people say, "I don't have any friends".  So what about reaching out to others that also feel lonely?  Quit sitting in front of the screen.  Turn off the electronics for a bit and connect face to face with other people.  How is your social health?  Take this day and find one way to improve in that area.

Saturday - FAMILY - When was the last time your talked to your mom or dad? Brother?  or Aunt or Uncle? What about other family member you have been out of touch with.  Would it be weird to pick up the phone and reach out over the miles to say "I miss you and I love you.  Remember when....?"  Take today and reach out and touch someone.  Was that AT&T's slogan back in the 80's?  This is also a great day to take the kids on a hike or a date with your spouse.

That's it.
Those are MY pillars of health I will be focusing on as we work together to build a happy, healthy  life.  I guarantee that as we work on these pillars of health, you will see increase in fitness results, joy, and peace.  This is the secret formula.  I am telling you!


Are you ready for true bliss?  I know I am.

 - Blessings,
       Michelle




No comments:

Post a Comment