Friday, December 8, 2017

Glady's has still got it!

Friday - Family relationship health is our focus today...



Last night my family enjoyed a Glady's Knight concert together.  We took my Mother-in-Law and my kids (except my oldest that had work conflict - sad story).

When we told our kids we were going to this event, they said "Who?"

WHAT??  WHAT?? You mean, you don't know who this is???

So we began an education into the background of R&B and Soul music in America and forced them to watch every Youtube video we could find with Glady's Knight and the Pips.

But it didn't do the live performance justice.  DUDE, That lady has still got it at age 73!
Yes girl!

She was sexy and vibrant and could belt it out!  Plus funny and witty and so much fun to listen to her stories.

Glady's began rattling off her musical mentors from her early years in, those that helped her and taught her the ropes of showmanship and the entertainment industry.  Just a few of the names  I remember her mentioning: Sammy Davis Jr.,  Frank Sinatra, BB King, etc... etc...  The list went on and on of amazing musicians in a time my kids don't even know.  I was in awe of the pieces of American music History this woman was carrying with her.

My favorite highlight of the night was seeing the look on my 18 year old son's face at his first concert when the music came on, the energy was high and she started to sing it loud and proud.  My kid squealed like a teenage girl just met her teen idol.  It was adorable!  But it was a Teenage Boy watching a powerful 70+ year old woman that is now a great grandmother and still rocked that stage like the star she has always been.  Krazy Kool.

Then there was the romantic songs.  I loved being next to the love of my life and holding each other through songs like "Your the best thing that's ever happened to me." and "Neither one of us, wants to be the first to say goodbye."

   Such amazing times last night.  Such great memories.  It was the first concert of it's kind that we have taken our kids to.    And I am going to put this out there... I want more.

Connection doing things together that build relationships.  That's what today's focus is in this blog.  Our family has been super strict on where we choose to spend our money.  Concerts for a family our size is not a thing that we choose to spend our money on.  We like food.

Last night for us, it was a concert from a music legend.  But family connections can happen anywhere, doing anything.  If  you still have kids at home, let them be a part of the decision making process of how to spend time together.  Or at least throw out a few suggestions and let them choose between a few choices you approve of.

You could do anything really.  Free stuff, like hiking or making a picnic to take to the park.  or even sitting next to your teenage son and playing that stupid video game alongside him.  Tell him you will play that game with him today, if he goes to Yoga with you tomorrow.  I don't know, maybe not.  Teach your family that time together is valuable.  I have decided that QUALITY  concerts are now a thing I will make sure we invest in.  I had way too much fun not to do that again with our kids.

Tomorrow my kids and I are going to go volunteer at a race aid station.  We love doing that kind of thing.  They get to be inspired by amazing athletes and give back with their time and service.  Plus, it's another free way to get out of the house, do something fun and meaningful together and enjoy an active lifestyle, even if they are not running the race.  The truth is, every time we do one of those aid stations, I have a kid that says they want to run a race.  So, it's a win-win-win situation for all of us.

No kids at home?  Contact a family member.  If they live close, meet up and do something.  If not, at least a phone call or better yet, video chat and connect face to face. 

Today your challenge is to find one way to build those family relationships.


No comments:

Post a Comment