Saturday, January 6, 2018

Feel the sun on your face every day!

When I was struggling in a deep depression nearly 10 years ago, I asked God for help out of the darkness.  Guess what the inspiration out of darkness was - light.  Yup.  The answer that came to my mind was to get out and see the sun every day.
I came to view myself as the little robot from the movie "Wall-E".  My batteries die if I don't see the sun.
Cute movie by the way, I highly recommend it.   It has a wonderful message. 
We get so caught up in the day to day living that we forget what life is meant to be.
We have this amazing world around us and we spend most of our time inside stuck on our electronic devices.  Take today to set those devices down, finish you personal and business stuff quickly on the computers, set that timer and get it done if it must be done.  (I am doing that right now.)  Then, shut it off and get outside for some fun.  If it's cold where you are, bundle up! I grew up on a ranch in southern Wyoming where temperatures often plummeted below freezing and snow piled high.  Some of my favorite memories are bundling up in snow boots, gloves, hats, scarves, several layers of clothing and snow suits.  Then after we got to the "I can't my arms down" 
level of bundling, we went out and built snow forts, went sledding,  had epic snowball fights, etc... 

 On rainy muddy days, we would go "mud-whomping" (sliding down muddy wet hillsides) or played mud football.
As an adult have you called your adult friends and ever planned a game of mud soccer?

I feel very blessed today as I live in southern Utah and enjoy pretty decent weather.  It's January and I might have to put a light jacket on for my hike this afternoon after I clean the house.
I have to be honest, the only reason I exercise and teach fitness classes is so that I can help myself and others enjoy outdoor play time without injury.   
Mud games and snow fights not your thing?  
Just get out for a quick brisk cold weather walk.
I can tell you that my life has changed since making this a priority in my life.  On days when I neglect getting outside and seeing the sun, I feel a dip back where I don't want to go.  The best antidepressant you can find is getting outside.  I promise!
This year I am making a resolution to take daily walks and hike more trails. 
Join me in changing your mental state and happiness this year.
And hey, it also burns calories.  There is that. 
Time to shut it down and get out there!

 Cheers!
 - Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment